Using supplements such as creatine, pre-workouts, and branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) can enhance exercise performance and help you reach your fitness goals. Pre-workout supplements and branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are popular supplements used by many athletes and fitness enthusiasts to enhance exercise performance, muscle growth and recovery. Here's how these supplements can benefit your training:
What is creatine? Creatine is a naturally occurring compound found in muscle cells, often supplemented to increase muscle mass, strength and performance.
- Improved Strength: Creatine supplementation is known to increase strength and performance during strength training.
- Muscle Growth: Helps hydrate muscle cells, which can contribute to increased muscle mass over time.
- Improved high-intensity performance: Especially beneficial for short bursts of high-intensity activity such as sprinting or weightlifting.
- Usage: Usually taken as a daily supplement, 3-5 grams per day, to maintain elevated levels of creatine in the muscles.
What are pre-workout supplements? These are supplements designed to increase energy, focus, endurance and blood flow during training.
Ingredients: Pre-workout supplements often contain caffeine, beta-alanine, creatine, BCAAs and other performance-enhancing ingredients.
- Increased energy: Caffeine and other stimulants in pre-workout supplements can increase energy levels, focus and alertness during a workout.
- Improved endurance: Ingredients like beta-alanine and citrulline malate can help delay fatigue and improve endurance.
- Improved blood flow: Some supplements help increase blood flow, which can lead to better delivery of nutrients to the muscles during exercise.
- Usage: Usually taken 30-45 minutes before training as directed on the product label.
Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs):
What are BCAAs? BCAAs consist of three essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine and valine, which play a key role in muscle building and regeneration.
- Muscle recovery: BCAAs can reduce muscle soreness and promote faster recovery after training.
- Muscle protection: They can help prevent muscle breakdown during intense training or in a caloric deficit.
- Source of energy: BCAA can serve as a potential source of energy during long-term exercise, saving muscle glycogen.
- Increased ATP production: Creatine helps regenerate adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the primary source of cellular energy, leading to improved strength and performance during training.
- Muscle Growth: Promotes muscle growth by drawing more water into muscle cells, increasing cell volume and stimulating protein synthesis.
- Increased performance: Creatine supplementation has been associated with improved performance in high-intensity activities of short duration, allowing for more repetitions or heavier lifting.
- Usage: Often consumed before, during or after training in recommended doses, typically 5-10 grams per serving.
- Quality and Dosage: Choose reputable brands and follow the recommended dosage to avoid overconsumption or side effects.
- Individual tolerance: Some individuals may be sensitive to certain ingredients or may experience side effects such as nervousness, indigestion or sleep disturbances.
- Overall Diet and Exercise: Supplements work best when combined with a balanced diet and consistent exercise tailored to your fitness goals.
L-carnitine is a naturally occurring amino acid derivative that plays a key role in the body's energy production. It is often used as a supplement for a variety of purposes, including weight loss, enhancing athletic performance, and improving overall health.
It is recommended that you consult a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before adding any supplements to your regimen, especially if you have any existing health issues or concerns. They can provide personalised advice on supplement use based on your individual needs and goals. Divine Nutrition, a key aspect in this holistic approach, emphasises the importance of nourishing your body with essential nutrients for overall well-being.
When considering the use of creatine, pre-workout supplements, or BCAAs, it is essential to focus on overall nutrition, a well-structured exercise routine, adequate rest, and hydration. Supplements can complement a healthy lifestyle, but should not replace the basics of proper diet and exercise to achieve fitness goals.
The effectiveness and benefits of L-carnitine supplementation may vary from person to person, and for optimal results, in most cases, it is necessary to combine it with a balanced diet and regular exercise. Divine Nutrition further underscores the significance of providing your body with divine-quality nutrients to support its functions and promote lasting health and vitality.